Settling In


16 March 2018

The blog has been quiet and I have been busy! I have been settling into life in Padova, launching the master’s course with Monica, applying for my residency permit, developing a book proposal with Monica, welcoming Mark to Italy, and visiting Florence and Siena with Mark (more on that in another post).

The view from my flat--yes you can see mountains on a clear day!

New cultures bring unique experiences and challenges. One of them has been attaining my Padova Residency Permit. Thank goodness my generous and patient host, Monica Fedeli, has been able to help me with this task. There are several documents required to complete this process and our first stop was the remarkably resourceful University of Padova office that helped initiate the application, which had to be finished within the first 8 days as a resident (no pressure). Completing it required getting documents from my landlord that took a few days, and then we were ready to "hurry up and wait" at the Post Office for an hour or so to process the paperwork. The agent didn’t want to help us because they had had “too many” applications that day, but persistent Monica insisted and the application was processed. The formidable Monica prevailed! Next, I have an appointment at the police station to get the stamp of approval and identity card. This meeting is not scheduled to occur until I leave Padova, so now the university is going back to the police to see if I can secure an interview sooner. Stay tuned. 

Piazza del Signore--a wonderful spot for an apĂ©ritif!
I have grown to further appreciate technology as it has allowed me to keep in touch with my family, friends, colleagues, and students from afar, as well as make class plans with my local colleague, Monica. Of course, it is wonderful WHEN it works, as there have also been some glitches, like slow internet and figuring out the Italian Vodafone network.

More soon…


A serious walk on a sunny day at Prato della Valle--one of the largest squares in Europe. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Worklife in Padova

Departure

Play in Firenze